Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Incredible Shrinking Chiropractor

Those of you that know me, know that I had gained a lot of weight over the last several years. It’s funny in an odd, sad kind of way that while I would be talking to the public about health and a wellness lifestyle, I was doing so while being significantly overweight. It’s obvious that the message that was REALLY getting out to the public was that while I might be a nice guy and that the message SOUNDED good, that I either didn’t believe what I was preaching or at least not living it fully.

Like most folks, one day I reached a point where I had to honestly face the man in the mirror and say “Enough!” We all reach that point at different times and with different circumstances. Sometimes, it might be weight or other health issues, financial matters or even personal or spiritual issues. But, we all have (or will have) those moments.

So one day, I chose one of those infomercials (Michael Thurmond's Six Week Body Makeover) that I KNEW to be more rational and scientific than the others and went to work. I’m glad to tell you that, so far, I’ve lost 55 pounds! Now, I’ve still got a a good bit more to lose, but it’s coming off almost effortlessly. Maybe the difference this time is that my resolve is not as much to lose the weight but to LIVE how I want to be living in my 80s and 90s, active and healthy.

One of the things that I’m enjoying is working out again. There’s something special about the FEELING of muscle under your skin. Maybe it’s a guy thing. But, it gives you a sense of power. And, that feeling of power affects the way you approach every other aspect of your life. The other thing I really enjoy about this program is that it’s neither starvation, faddish nor unrealistic. It’s a reasonable food plan that encourages you to simply eat what you like that is GOOD for you and avoid what is NOT. Oh yeah, the program also encourages you to do a simple routine of resistance exercise that you can do at home or at work. It’s the increased muscle that burns those calories 24 hours every day, even while you sleep.

If you’re in the area, I hope you’ll stop in and check out “The Incredible Shrinking Chiropractor” in action. And, keep me in mind for those folks you know who are interested starting down the path toward wellness without drugs or surgery.

No comments: