Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Live for today. Plan for tomorrow.

The only life we have is lived today. Not tomorrow and not yesterday.

How many folks do you know who spend almost all their waking hours fretting over what they had or had not done in the past or what someone had done to them. Then there are folks who do little more than worry about what might happen in the future. But, there are very few people you'll run across that simply enjoy TODAY.

It took me a while to realize that the only thing I can do anything about is today. Not only today, but this very moment. I was one of those who spent a good part of his life thinking about how I had been done wrong by this person or that. Or, how things might have turned our had some event have happened just a little differently. Well, things just CAN'T happen differently than they already have.

I see people in my practice, in my business circles and socially who simply worry about EVERY potential catastrophe or wrong turn. They're loaded up to the gills with insurance, take all kinds of drugs or spend inordinate amounts of time going to various doctors "just in case". I think I saw somewhere that 90% of the things we worry about NEVER come about. And, those that DO come about are things over which we have no control, anyway.

Here's my prescription for a better life. Live your life to the fullest today. And if you wake tomorrow, have another go at it. BUT in your quiet moments, visualize how you want your life to go, including the things you want to do, be and have and with whom you want them. Vow to do those things within your power to make those things happen and THEN to simply allow God (or the universe) to handle the details. When you awaken in the morning, check your list and get on it.

Life seems fullest when it is simply and joyfully lived. Appreciate the life you have. Live it well. Live it today.

No comments: